Friday, October 14, 2011

Put A Bird On It

This has been up for a month or so, but yet again I'm going to claim it's better late than never...

I was delighted to find my book on a fab list put together by the fab new-ish literary website Canadian Bookshelf. The list is entitled Put A Bird On It and showcases the (incredible) number of books that have birds on their covers, if not also in their titles. It also features the funny clip of the same name from the TV series Portlandia.

In other news I "won" the 2nd Montreal Literary Death Match, if gaining the sympathy vote for only have one discernible talent (a British accent) counts as winning. Mind you the final round did require certain specific skills and, at long last, all those years I spent in school playing netball (a sport nobody in North America seems to have heard of) paid off! It was a great turnout and a really fun night - the other readers, judges and jet-setting host/LDM creator Todd Zuniga were all amazing and everyone got a free copy of Maisonneuve since it was also the magazine's fall launch. The Montreal blog Midnight Poutine did a write-up here.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! Congrats on winning the lit death match! :)

    And I did see that post on Cdn Bookshelf. It must be so cool to see your book featured in such places. I was thinking about it the other day. Your excellent stories inspired me when I read them (read "read" in the present tense, because I like to reread them now and then) but on a surface level I also feel the book in general does. It encourages me to know there are only six stories, and yet it's a full collection. I feel less daunted in trying to write my own for a book. If I can write just six very good ones, as you did, instead of ten or more, I'll be all right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Steph! I'm very pleased and touched that my book's been a source of encouragement for you and yes, you WILL be all right and I really look forward to reading your first collection, however long (or short) it is. :)

    ReplyDelete